Saturday, December 11

Wisdom of Dr. Seuss

"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" -Dr. Seuss


Tessie told me to "stomp my feet and yell" about my broken hot water heater. I tried doing some of that, but it didn't help much. I did do some more research though.

I decided to try to fix it myself. I turned off the gas, dismantled the burner on the water heater and took the parts to Home Depot.
All of this would have been much easier if the hot water heater was up to code and 12 inches off the floor!

For $9.96 I got a new thermocouple like the old one you see here.


I carefully followed the instructions I found at the Family Handyman. When I was finished, I lit the pilot light and the burner turned on! :D


HOT water again! No waiting four more days either! (She says, patting herself on the back.)

Of course there were no minis made today. Maybe tomorrow, after I take a nice HOT shower!

"Today was good.
Today was fun.
Tomorrow is another one."

-Dr. Seuss

10 comments:

Lataina said...

She minis AND she's a plumber!!!

Kathi said...

LOL Lataina you are too funny!

Petra said...

Oh Kathi I'm so proud of you! :-)
I never would have tried this. You are brave too.
A hot shower after missing it for one or 100 days is great! Enjoy as we enjoy your work.

Caseymini said...

I told you that stomping your feet and yelling would do some good. It got you ready to go out and conquor the world! Congrats on the hot shower! I would probably have burned the house down.

Lucille said...

I'm without words. But, I'm starting to know you and what you're capable of. You're just so plucky! I admire you so much. I would never have dared to try something like that. Congratulations!!! I'm very happy for you that you now have the comfort of hot water.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

You really did good! I would have never attempted to do something like that.
Maybe I missed reading it, but since you rent, why did your landlord not get it repaired?
Hope you are enjoying your weekend.

FabShabbyRoses said...

I'm with the others....I never would have attempted something like this. You are amazing! A perfect example of what a person CAN accomplish when push comes to shove! I'm so proud of you!
Carolyn

Kim said...

Kathi- I'm back after a break from blog reading and sad to read that you were supposed to wait so long to have hot water- but good for you for fixing it! Reminds me of my Mom. She raised 4 of us alone and there wasn't anything she won't try to fix herself if she can.

otterine said...

Lucky you...my water heater sprang a leak and had to be replaced last weekend. Luckily, I have a wonderful boyfriend; he and his wonderful father put it in for me. :D

Sans! said...

Kathi, you have my utmost RESPECT! Wow! seriously amazing!