Sunday, May 22

Quite By Accident

I painted the ponds with one coat of Gesso. Then I used the edge of a little piece of wood pressed into the foam to make stones.

One problem that concerns me is crumbling. The floral foam is so soft the you can sand it with your finger. I'm hoping two coats Gesso, some paint and a final fixative spray will harden it enough.


Quite by accident, I discovered moss! Well, not REAL moss, but the green that's showing could be moss, right?

My plan is to tint the second coat of Gesso with gray and dab it on with a sponge. I can always paint away some "moss" if I think there is too much. I may add some real/fake moss here and there too?

The ponds will need plants too. I like making plants. :D


Here are some water lilies in progress.



The Koi fish are in the "water." It's really humid here right now so the resin is still sticky. That will need to cure for a few more days before I can add it to the ponds.

I was unsure how the resin would react with the foam, so I'm making that part separately. I'm really having fun with this!

Hope you have a nice day!

3 comments:

Plushpussycat said...

Love watching the progress! Water lilies and lotus are my favorites! These ponds are coming along nicely! :-)

onbeingaminimum said...

It looks like you have been having fun.

I love experimenting too, it is so rewarding when it all works out.

Kathi said...

I've even been studying chemistry this afternoon. Like, can I pour urethane resin into polystyrene foam? My pre-poured ponds don't fit into the bases I made. Back to square ONE. I'm going to have to try to rescue my fish too....