Tuesday, March 29

Playing in the Kitchen

I went looking in the kitchen for a mold for my garage lights. In this junk drawer I found a melon ball cutter.


It had the perfect shape but the handle got in the way. Tabitha suggested using a cigar holder. Since I didn't have one of those, I got a blood drawing tube at work and tried that. Tabitha also suggested putting the molds in the refrigerator for a while to keep the clay from sticking.



I didn't have much success with that. A Google search turned up Judi Maddigan's site. She suggested using cornstarch lightly dusted on the mold. That worked really well.


Now I have four little red bowls. If they don't work for the lights, I can use them in the kitchen! :D

Thank you for all of your helpful suggestions. I think I'm getting closer to making something I can actually use?

Hope you have a lovely day! I would love to stay home and play but I need to go get ready for work. Money for minis, you know . . .



7 comments:

Tabitha Corsica said...

Ah success at last! Looking good. Glad the corn starch worked for you...but it was the CLAY that was to go into the fridge, not the mold :-)
When you use cornstarch on a mold, makes sure almost all of it is dusted off...it will stick to and color your clay much as grated pastels will.

otterine said...

I'm taxing my brain on this, too. :D You know, a suction cup seems to have the right shape. Could you make a poly clay mold of that or just paint the suction cup directly? No idea if that'll work. :]

Kathi said...

Hmmmm... the suction cup sounds like a possibility? I may have one too. Thanks!

Minnie Kitchen said...

i love how we can use everyday stuff as tools for miniature~

Susi said...

Al final daras con el molde y la tecnica perfecta, muchas amigas te van guiando...de momento tiene una pinta estupenda, un beso.
minieden.blogspot.com

onbeingaminimum said...

These have a better shape and now you can make bowls galore!!

dalesdreams said...

I think you are going to get there with the lamps. :)